Travel is full of fun and exciting new experiences! So why not a fresh, new wardrobe to go with? I used to frantically order clothes on Amazon or Nordstrom the day before, trying to piece together the perfect outfit. Not being able to choose, I would pack EVERYTHING (you know, so I had options) and then be lugging around a suitcase that felt full of bricks for the entire duration of the trip.
I bought clothes from places just in case I wanted to return them later. (yes, I admit it!) but half the time I’d end up keeping them, still spending more than I needed for the vacation.
Then I found Rent the Runway and it changed my perspective on travel, packing, and fashion for the better!. No more overspending, no more clothing clutter, no more overpacking!
look and feel fabulous for every vacation my rent the runway travel hacks:
- If you’re new to RTR, pick your first monthly “swap” a few weeks before your trip, and use your second swap for the vacation itself. Get used to how it works, how long it will take to choose outfits, etc.
2. Choose your vacation outfits a week ahead of time, this allows plenty of time for arrival in the event of a shipping delay. Most shipments take two days but don’t include weekends or inclement weather.
3. Check the weather in your destination and let it guide you on what to choose – layering options are always a great choice! you can even use the filter option when looking at clothes to select warmer cool weather.
4. Consider key occasions you’ll be attending. Wedding, casual, formal, etc. There are options for all!
6. Choose fun, statement pieces that compliment your base wardrobe!
7. Read the reviews! I cannot stress how important this is. No matter how much you like an item, past reviews may note that it’s itchy, uncomfortable, fit weird, not good for busty women.
8. Be ok choosing your second or third choices. Not every piece is going to be available when you want it to be. This goes along with tip number 6, but
9. Look at what you already have (if you’re like me, I gravitate towards pieces I already have. A pink sweater? Got it A pair of black leggings? Already have them.
10. Try something new! So you looked at what you have already, now pick something different! Some of my favorite pieces have been something I never thought I’d like. Like this mustard color dress (below) which I never thought would have been my color.
11. Try them on before you pack them. This will give you an idea of what accessories will go well and make sure it fits. there is no sense in packing something that doesn’t fit or you really don’t like (the more you swap the less this occurrence happens )
12. Bring your return bag with you. Look up where you’re going – UPS store nearby? Bring your return bag with you, drop them off before you leave, and save space for your souvenirs. Some hotels will let you leave your UPS packages at the front desk upon departure. Easy peasy!
13. Have rentals shipped directly to your destination! I don’t recommend this as a first option, but if you’re traveling from one place to another this is a great option. When I was traveling from Aruba to New York, I set a reminder to pick out my colder weather outfits for New York City and they were given to me upon check-in. A word of caution, it can be a gamble if your rentals are delayed.
14. Pause your membership anytime. When I have nowhere to be or want to save that month, just set a reminder to log in and place your membership on hold for that month.
Snag the items in my base wardrobe below!
Let me know what you think in the comments below!